I’m not going to lie, the thought of turkey meatballs wasn’t appetizing to me. As an Italian especially, I made some assumptions that they couldn’t possibly be good. I was wrong… And I made these on a weeknight in under a half hour and not only was it a healthy option but it was truly delicious. They were also good leftover. Give em a try!
- 1.25 lbs of lean white meat turkey breast
- 3 cloves garlic, grated or chopped
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs (I use Progresso Italian bread crumbs and some panko as well)
- 1-2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup imported parmigiano cheese
- Tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Red pepper flakes to taste
- Salt & pepper
- Pam oil spray
Pre heat oven to 400.
In a mixing bowl, combine the garlic, parsley, onion, egg, bread crumbs and cheese. Mix well and then add the turkey. Roll into balls and place on a sprayed cookie sheet. This recipe made 15 balls which came out to 119 calories each including the sauce and cheese.
They will be a little sticky/soft and hard to handle. I find the best method is to place them into a cast iron pan to sear on all sides. This will help firm up the meatballs. (You can choose to put them in the oven for 10 minutes first and then sear but that’s just an extra step).
Put in the oven for about 10 minutes. Then pull out the pan, add mozzarella cheese and place under the broiler until bubbly and browned.