Sausage and peppers is an Italian classic. It’s easy to make and can be a meal on it’s own or on fresh Italian bread for a delicious sandwich. The catch is that this meal is all about getting the right ingredients. Go to an Italian deli and get their store made sausage, mozzarella and fresh baked bread. The ingredients will make the difference in an average grinder and one that blows you away. This sandwich we made last Sunday night was incredible and the two of us ate two of these…
- 3 small hot Italian sausage links and 3 sweet links (or whatever combination you prefer) fresh made at a deli
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1-2 sliced garlic cloves (this is optional)
- Olive oil for sautéing
- 2 fresh baked Italian grinders
- Fresh basil
- Fresh sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1 can diced San Marzano tomatoes
- Salt & pepper
- Turn your pan on med/high heat and brown your sausages, then remove from pan.
- Add olive oil and sliced onions & garlic to pan and sautee until start to brown.
- Add your peppers and let them cook down for several minutes. Then add your diced tomatoes, salt, pepper and basil. Bring them up to a simmer and add sausage.
- Cover the pan with a cracked lid and let cook through and let the favors meld. Roughly 15-20 minutes. You really can’t over cook this dish.
- Cut your sausages length wise in half so you can place them flat on the bread. Then add the toppings and fresh sliced cheese.
- Put in the oven on broil until the bread is toasted and the mozzarella is melted. Then enjoy a truly amazing sandwich.
A note on leftovers… We had leftover peppers and onions in the sauce but no sausage. The next night I boiled some pasta, tossed it in the sauce, topped with some fresh parm and you have yourself another meal. You can also add some seared chicken or white beans for some protein 🙂 You can’t let that delicious sauce go to waste.