In an effort to keep things healthy post January 1, last weekend I decided to try a healthy spin on buffalo chicken wraps–one of my favorites. Whats better than a soft flour tortilla, crunchy fried chicken smothered in buffalo sauce, some mayo or ranch and crunchy lettuce…. amazing. So, how can we make this better? Avoid frying and the calorie ridden flour tortilla. This recipe satisfied my craving. The crunchy bread crumbs and avo purée make this healthy dinner feel indulgent but it’s much more friendly to your waistline.
- Package of chicken breasts, washed and cut into bite sized pieces
- Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup or so of Franks Buffalo Sauce
- 1 cup or so 2% Greek yogurt
- 2 celery stalks, chopped for topping
- Bibb lettuce, washed and separated
- Fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp White balsamic vinegar
- For this recipe I cut my chicken into nugget shapes. You can cut them into tenders or anything you want.
- In a large mixing bowl add your chicken and sprinkle with salt. Add 3/4 of the Greek yogurt and some Franks red hot. Stir everything to combine and then cover with saran wrap and stick in the refrigerator for at least a half hour. (A few hours is fine if you want to get prep out of the way early).
- Pre heat the oven to 375.
- Pour panko bread crumbs into a shallow dish and wet with some oil. Coat each piece of chicken with the bread crumbs but pressing them firmly into the chicken, and place on a cookie sheet topped with a drying rack. This will help crisp up the chicken.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until they get golden. If necessary broil them at the end to finish browning.
- You have the option of spraying the chicken with a light olive oil towards the end to ensure the breadcrumbs get nice and crispy.
- Meanwhile put avocado, the rest of the Greek yogurt, fresh parsley, vinegar and salt and pepper in blender and purée until smooth. I also added a few celery leaves.
- When the chicken is done, assemble a lettuce wrap with the purée, chicken, celery, and a drizzle of hot sacue and a dollop of ranch. Enjoy!