Grandma Edie (our Jewish grandmother) made the best Italian stuffed artichokes around! We grew up making these as kids, taking turns stuffing each leaf and it’s been a fun and tasty tradition! This is one of the few recipes I just won’t vary and these artichokes are worth every minute of preparation.
- 5 Artichokes
- Garlic (lots of it finely chopped)
- Fresh Parsley (lots of it finely chopped)
- Progresso Italian Style Breadcrumbs
- Chicken bullion cube
- Parmesan Cheese (freshly grated)
- Cut the stems off your artichokes and cut off the top of the artichoke so it is flat. Wash them well.
- Put a shallow pan on the stove with a few inches of water. Set the artichokes in the pan, cover with a lid and let steam.
- Put a pot of water on the stove and add chicken bullion cube (if you are a vegetarian use a vegetable one!)
- While the artichokes are steaming you can make the stuffing. Combine garlic, cheese, parsley, breadcrumbs and S&P
- When the artichokes start to open you know they are ready for stuffing!
- Combine the stuffing mixture with the chicken broth so you have thick heavy stuffing. Carefully go around each leaf working from the outside in to stuff the artichoke. Don’t leave one leaf behind! Don’t forget, if you are new to artichokes, to eat the heart! It’s the best part 🙂 This will be messy to eat so I don’t recommend having these on a first date. But they are finger-licking good!
Serve and enjoy. These are excellent the next day as well.